When I think about having to go to the dentist, I try every excuse in the books to reschedule. It’s not my favorite self-care activity. So how can we expect our littles to be pumped up about someone putting pointy tools in their mouth?! It’s not an easy first (or 20th) experience, so our amazing dentist recommended by so many of you, Dr. Katie Blomer at Hyde Park Pediatric Dentistry, has given us some tips to help us get our kiddos excited rather than fearful!
Before I tell you her big tips, let me tell you why HPPD was fantastic!
- Every single staff member was full of energy and so welcoming to us, even to Brookie’s little brother as he was wandering all over the office!
- Brooke was a champ, and it was definitely because of her Dental assistant, Alicia! She made Brooke feel so confident and safe – we loved her!
- Movies on the ceiling – great distraction for patient and siblings!
- All the goodies (for brother too!). We left with 2 goodie bags filled with new toothbrushes (Elsa and Cars – is there anything better to a kid?!), new toothpaste, fun floss, stickers and bath toys!
- Bright and cheery office!
How to Prepare for The Dentist
- The Dentist is always FUN! Always encourage your child to be excited about coming to the Dentist! The more you can talk about it and the more you can tell them about all of the good things that will happen there, the more they can relax and have fun.
- Do not use cavities as a threat; cavities happen! There are much easier to fix when the child is not afraid and does not feel like they are being punished.
- Are prizes allowed? Absolutely! There are tons of options for the kids to chose from when they are all finished with their exam. Dr. Katie carries around “gold coins” in the office to give out to the kiddos making it feel extra special!
If you’re looking to schedule an appointment, click here to visit Dr. Katie and her amazing staff and team!